Sometimes I have thought about what to open that night before 8am...

Monday, November 7, 2011

Sweet Potato and Arugula Salad

Fall is upon us, even here in San Diego. 

Fall leaves me wanting new flavors, richer flavors, and yet I am trying to make healthier choices. Are you tired of me saying that yet? I repeat it in an effort to keep myself focused on the task at hand. I need to put it out there to keep myself on track. In fact, there is only one thing I need more than accountability, and that is new and exciting things to eat. And this salad is both of those things. Plus it is incredibly delicious!

Sweet Potato and Arugula Salad
Ingredients:
1 large sweet potato peeled, and cut into cubes
3 cups of arugula
2 tbsp crumbled feta
2 tbsp pine nuts
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp olive oil + 2 tsp olive oil for roasting the potatoes
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375. Toss sweet potatoes in 2 tsp olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove from the oven and cool.

Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add pine nuts (no oil, no cooking spray). Cook in the pan, stirring often, until toasted. Remove from pan and allow to cool.

In a large bowl combine arugula, sweet potato, pine nuts, and feta cheese. Drizzle with 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and 2 tsp olive oil. Toss to combine.

Plate and top with additional cracked black pepper.

This makes 2 entree size salads, or 4 side salads to accompany your dinner. 

Friday night I served it with Cider Glazed Chicken with Pecan Rice from Cooking Light. I have had the salad for lunch twice since then. That's right, both Saturday and Sunday!

If there was only one tip that I could give you on this recipe it would be: cook extra sweet potato

That way when you are looking for a quick easy lunch this week, you have an incredible salad you can throw together in mere minutes. 

Oh and I have no doubts this will become a huge hit in your house. It already is in mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment